Friday 31 October 2014

Research: Keith Arnatt

Upon researching into Dementia and how people cope with the illness, I decided to ask my Grandma and Grandad how my great-Grandparents cope with the illness and small things they do. My Grandad commented on the fact that my great-grandfather leaves small notes around the house, much like David Blackburn does in Christopher Nunn's series of images. Therefore, I decided to look into the work of Keith Arnatt. I researched this series of photographs during my college studies when I was looking into memory and love. These notes were left around the house by his late wife, and included in the series "Notes From My Wife"

Martin Parr wrote an article for The Guardian which I am referencing in my research, Parr speaks about Arnatt's early career and he "liked the unpredictable and acts of provocation". The series of images, two of which are shown below, are jottings and reminders (- and sometimes insults!) written by his wife, who was killed by a brain tumour in the early 90's. Parr writes "Taken out of context and blown up, they become surreal. This was Arnatt's strength as a photographer: he understood how the smallest detail or observation could be transformed by the act of isolation"

I like the idea of small notes and reminders being included in my final work, especially ones that express their concern for loss of memory or confusion as to where they are or where people are. I might included small reminders such as these in my video, especially around the central point where the subject becomes more confused by the obvious build up of undrank tea and confusion about where they have come from.






http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2007/may/19/weekend7.weekend4

No comments:

Post a Comment