Tuesday 14 October 2014

Research: Ally Bain

"In July 1999, I was assaulted and the hard hitting punch forced my head to land heavily on the concrete pavement. I was taken to hospital and, whilst still in a coma, I underwent two brain operations with the first being to remove a haemotoma (collection of blood). The second operation was to remove some dead brain cells, a partial lobotomy in my left frontal lobe. The coma lasted for several days and that was followed by post-traumatic amnesia. Once fully awake, further tests were taken and this showed significant problems. The main areas were, and still are, my language skills (reading, writing and speech), certain parts of my memory and other cognitive problems. Due to my experience of these problems, I chose to look into the realms of showing loss of memory by corrupting the photographic image. Fragmented and distorted, my work is an attempt to visualise the complex notion of memory and its loss."





Ally Bain took images from his past, which he cannot remember or recall due to his lack of memory and partial lobotomy, and re wrote the coding inside the data. This produced a series of images that reflected his mental memory state, distorting the images and making them almost unrecognisable to the owner of the photograph. I like the way that distortion can be used to reflect a mental illness, such as dementia or memory loss through accidents, and I hope I can manage to combine this into my final film.

No comments:

Post a Comment