Saturday 4 October 2014

Research: 30 Seconds to Mars (Up In The Air)

Up In The Air - 30 Seconds to Mars


I have always been inspired by this video and the editing techniques behind it. Recently, I have fallen in love with the way some parts of this film have been shot, especially the references to the Damien Hurst artwork (of which, I am a HUGE fan). At the beginning, there are very fast cuts between certain elements of the music that happen later on, such as the large lady in the bikini dancing, and the butterflies. The entire video is filled with very still shots that could be useful in putting forward a certain feeling or emotion.


This is the shot I was most inspired by. I love the wide angle shot that puts him central, but still has a lot of unused space that the bees can fly around it. Although the subject is interesting, I still find that the composition and the stillness of the model makes the shot. I would like my models to be composed like this in my own video, and have the same stillness and look at the camera. When I visited the "Autoportraits in Love-like Conditions" exhibition at the Cornerhouse, the artist looked at people's awkwardness in front of the camera and how it affects the feel of the film. I don't want to disguise the awkwardness that the model radiates from them.


The incorporation of text is something I have always wanted to try in video and never got round to doing so. I love the font in the video, especially for the single words that flash up on screen; "Love", "Lust", "Faith" and "Dreams". I feel like this is something I would like to experiment with in my piece, but maybe not incorporate it into my final piece.


The stillness of the model surrounded by the movement of the butterflies, but in slow motion. It gives this shot a surreal feel, as the model seems unprovoked by the butterflies that are landing all around her. The butterflies give reference to Damien Hurst and his work that involved butterflies, both dead and alive. Knowing Damien Hurst's work gives me a different angle to look at this video at, because the artwork, creatures and expression give it a personal touch to his work.



No comments:

Post a Comment